Friday, February 20, 2009

Oh It's Coming Fast!!

In T-minus 7 days I will be in Iceland and can I just say it doesn't seem like it's that close! Maybe it's because life is so incredibly busy with school and work, or maybe it's because we planned everything so long ago...I don't know...The planning isn't going oh so fast, but here's what we know so far....

Friday - Drive to Boston to see the yellowjackets because Matt is a fan. Me not so much, but I hear I'll be able to get dressed up in my hot little black dress and drink a couple toasted almonds...and that makes me happy.

Saturday - Hang out in Boston and maybe have lunch with a friend who we haven't seen in a long time. Then catch our flight at 8:30pm.

Sunday - Arrive in Iceland and hit the hot springs. This is where I pray that I have kept my low carb diet the week before because sadly the only bathing suit I have is a bikini and nobody wants to see a chunky carbed out me at the springs! After a day at the hot springs we'll head into Reykjavik and find our hotel.

Monday - So from here on we have no set plans. We're pretty much thinking that we're going to pick up a few tours. Matt REALLY wants to go in one of the jeep/hummer things and drive fast through rivers and snowbanks. I found a tour that will let him drive. Plus the same tour also lets us hike on a glacier which includes wearing crampons and safety lines and I'm actually pretty psyched about that.
Hopefully on the way home from that tour we'll be able to see the northern lights as that's one of the reasons I wanted to go to Iceland. I've also found another tour that will let us go caving in a lava cave and snorkel. Yet another day of wearing a bathing suit for me. Who would have thought my bikini would get this much use? Seriously, I don't think I broke it out once in South Africa!!

We've also decided that we're going to try some of the fermented shark and whatever the liquor is that people shoot after. There will be video of that. Don't you worry! I'm not sure what else we'll do...We'll probably visit the geyser but I'm not sure what else. We got international drivers licenses so we can rent a car should we want to. Oh and the macbook will be coming with us, partly so we can upload stuff while we're there (because we're cool like that) and partially so I can do homework because sadly the work of a grad student is never done.

Wish me luck...and if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! I want to go to Reykjavik sometime...and congratulations on graduate school :)
As for my camera, it's just the iSight webcam built into my MacBook :P

Anonymous said...

I want so badly to go to Iceland one day! My grandfather was stationed there when my mom was a kid, and I am so curious about it. It's definitely on our top 8 or so places to go next!

Anonymous said...

aahhh, you're in my city right now!

Have so much fun, I can't wait to hear about your trip!

B said...

My dad LOVES The Yellowjackets! But either way - Iceland?!

So cool.

I've only ever been at their airport.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, so exciting! :)

EP said...

Oh my goodness! This sounds so wonderful and fun! Take LOTS of photos so we can live vicariously through you!

Jenniflower said...

We are going there this year too- a wish of hubby's for so long! Sounds like you are going to have such fun!!! Look forward to photos!