Wednesday, October 29, 2008

They'll Let ME Drive There...Seriously??


I'm ready for an adventure. A trip that isn't all planned, that's a fly by the seat of your pants kind of trip. We've been on a couple of trips in the last two years or so and all of them have been with a tour group of sorts, or at least pretty planned out. I always knew when someone was picking me up and taking me to the next place. (Except of course for the first week we spent in Thailand..Who REALLY plans for a 3 night hospital stay on their honeymoon?)

I'm ready to change. I want to go it alone. So, where better to try that out than Iceland. I've bought the plane tickets, I reserved the hotel (which, I must say I'm pretty proud of the deal I got...but the Ritz it certainly is not), and next comes the transportation.

Now, we do plan on using some local transportation. Apparently there is a bus of some sort that you can get a pass to and you can basically just jump on and off where you want and you also get free entrance into some of museums and so forth. However, we are going to push ourselves and get international drivers licenses and can I say that I am pretty psyched about it.

I don't like driving in places in this country that I'm not familiar with, let alone a foreign country. The only international driving I've done is in Canada. Now picture me in a foreign country where you get into remote territory relatively fast. We may get lost, who knows, BUT I can guarantee that we'll get to see parts of the country we wouldn't have experienced on a tour, and that's what it's all about right??

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is great - i can't wait to hear about your trip!

Anonymous said...

Oooh! It sounds like LOADS of fun!

Unknown said...

That sounds awesome!! When are you going? Already looking forward to the pics!

Sarah said...

You probably know this, but most of the time when you are in Europe the cars will be manual. So if you can't drive a manual ask before hand if they have any automatics.

mynameislina said...

good luck with your international driving license sara...and yup will be back to check on your trip...enjoy!!!

JD said...

Iceland is a random place that I never had on my list before, but now it's on there. Sounds fun!

Nancy said...

My dad was stationed in Reykjavik for 18 months in the 1950's -- he said it was quite the experience. I hope you have a great time. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I'll check in on you to see how your trip went. Happy trails!

ZEPHYR said...

Iceland can be quite barren, but even that can have a rugged beauty:
see...http://www.brianlucas.ca/roadside/

Your real driving adventure starts though when you drive in a country where we drive on the left hand-side of the road, and the drivers mainly sit on the right hand side of the car.

Have a great trip:
MikeKL (where KL stands for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)aka Zephyr.
www.makingdollars4u.com

April said...

wow - sounds like a great trip! (and i thought going to mexico for 4 days was exciting)

ENJOY!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for checking out my blog. I am so jealous of you going to Iceland! And you're totally right about Western food. For me, it's Western breakfasts. Looking forward to following along on your trip...