Friday, December 5, 2008

Bad Decision? Maybe

I've made the decision that I will be applying to grad school for full time enrollment for September, which means I need to get everything together in December with my application needing to be in by January, which really doesn't feel that stressful to me, I don't think the application is that bad. But, it does mean that I need to take the GRE's, which kinda freaks me out. I'm certainly not the best test taker in the world, and there is a lot riding on my scores.

Regardless of how things turn out, I'm taking two classes this spring which will be difficult for me. I'm not a TA, I don't work 20 hours a week. I work 40 hours a week with a 10 hour a week commute. Add in homework and class time, and I'll be booked solid. I did the math, and unless I can find a summer class or two, and I'm not sure how likely that will be, I'll need to take two classes each semester and three classes another one (this includes doing a thesis class over the summer which I think will be possible because I'm guessing that is pretty much on your own).

Super stressed out about it...I've been told by my interim adviser that it isn't possible for me to graduate in two years since I'm working full time, which is actually pretty upsetting. But I'm determined and REALLY want to get it done in that amount of time. My biggest concern? Where in the hell am I going to find the time to write a thesis? I'm picturing myself in some foreign country (maybe I'd go back to my favorite place in the world, Bangkok), sitting on a beach or on a park bench, computer in hand writing an endless amount of pages! That could work right?

9 comments:

Ray said...

Don't stress out about the GRE's...becuase in all honesty, there really isn't much you can do to study for them. It's pretty much a guessing game.

I am halfway through my grad program, and I won't lie, it's not easy, but it's not as hard as you think it is going to be. Good Luck!

The Dutchess of Kickball said...

Sounds awesome! Good luck!

Libby said...

bad decision? no way!

you'll do just fine on the gre. my husband isn't the best test-taker in the world, he was sick that day, and he made it through the test unscathed.

and definitely writing on a beach or on a park bench is a must:-)

good luck!

Kelli said...

It's not a bad decision at all if it's what you want to do and you're determined to do it!

SassyTwoSocks said...

Wow! Congrats on the grad school decision! I've been considering whether to go back or not. Are you going for an MBA?

Thanks for the note on my blog! I hope you know I was totally exaggerating and joking around. Everything on my blog is sarcastic or exaggerated. I know she was just being nice. But it's just the little thoughts that float through my (and other people's) minds that we never say but only think that I like to get down sometimes. :-) I hope you come back!

Anonymous said...

Good luck!! :)If you put your mind to it you can do anything!

Dolce said...

I think it's awesome that you're going back to grad school full time. It's something I really want to accomplish. Finding a degree that will make me happy is another challenge.

Unknown said...

You're totally going to rock this. Don't sweat it now, because when the time comes - you will be sweating, but it'll be that good accomplishing-things kind of sweat!

Anonymous said...

An impressive decision - good luck!